Written by Kaz Haykowsky
If you’re involved in one of the hundreds of student groups on campus, then you know just how hard it can be to promote your group and widen your audience year after year.
There are only so many posters you can put up, so many barbeques you can hold and so many hours you can spend behind a table selling your group to passersby. As effective as these options might be, don’t you find they’re getting a little dreary? In your search for new platforms and new heights from which to shout the merits of your community to a campus in need, you may feel that you’ve exhausted all options.
But wait! Don’t despair!
As always, Student Group Services has a killer plan that’s sure to take your group’s promotions to a whole new level! The Student Group Spotlight video contest!
What is it?
It’s a video contest, so we want your group to make a short video showing off your group on campus. The theme this year is “staff/volunteer training video” and you’re welcome to use this theme any way you like. All submissions will be promoted across SGS social media so you automatically tap into a whole network of contacts among students, other groups, the Students’ Union and University services.
What’s in it for you?
Not only do you get access to promotion across the SGS network, but we also have a great lineup of prizes to make the deal even sweeter:
The first place winner gets a $200 prize, a feature on the SGS website and Facebook, and access to special SGS event features.
The second place winner gets a $100 prize and secondary social media feature.
The Fan Favorite pick gets $50 and another secondary social media feature.
How can you make it happen?
It couldn’t be easier! In fact, the staff here at SGS made a demonstration video in an afternoon just to show you how much fun it can be!
You can probably make your own video in just a couple of afternoons or evenings:
1. Go to the SGS website and download the contest details, T’s and C’s (i.e. Terms and Conditions), and the submission and media release forms. Once you have those, go and collect some autographs!
2. Get a camera: use your phone, digital camera or even borrow one from Information Services and Technology!
3. Write a script: This should come naturally. You know what makes your group awesome so give us the bird’s eye view; introduce us to some of your members, events and dreams and just have fun with it!
4. Film! Put faces in front of cameras. Push record. Move your lips. Push stop.
5. Edit: Pick out the choicest bits, cut it down to under 5 minutes and publish!
6. Submit it to SGS before March 3rd by email , YouTube link or dvd/thumb drive in person (SUB 0-22).
Didn’t I say it was easy? So what are you waiting for? Grab your camera and get to work!