Tuesday 13 December 2016

The Not-So-Secret “Secret” Study Spots on Campus


The Not-So-Secret “Secret” Study Spots on Campus

Well, I hate to say it but finals have arrived. It’s every student’s most dreaded two-ish weeks out of the whole semester and that is why I am here to give you one last tidbit of advice before you head off and write those impending exams. A place can definitely make or break your study game. Personally, I have to be in the zone when I’m studying. One distraction and three hours later, I can still just be endlessly scrolling through Instagram. But if you find your perfect study location, you can study the whole day away and actually feel productive for once.

However, it’s definitely not an easy feat to find that perfect study spot and let’s face it, by 6 a.m. the good ones are already full of eager students who’ve written “taken” on post-it notes that they’ve stuck on the doors. So, I am ratting out the top 10 “secret” but not so secret study places on campus. Confused what I mean by that? It seems like every student has a place they love to study on campus, but when you ask them where it is, they are so hesitant to tell you. Nobody ever wants to give away that hidden gem of a study location in fear that it will be snatched up by some first year studying for their Psych 104 final. But in the rule of fairness, here are ten study spots that may or may not be “secret” in the words of students on campus.


CCIS 3rd or 5th Floor Conference Rooms:


UAlberta Study Spot - CCIS

There’s only a couple of these Conference rooms on the east side of CCIS. They’re up on the third and fifth floors but very few students know they exist. They’re quite tiny so I’d recommend only 1-2 students to study in them at a time and avoid them when the sun comes up because they heat up and you will be cooked alive.


Humanities: 


UAlberta Study Spot - Humanities

According to my friend, Emily, there is a seminar room in Humanities that has huge windows and a view of downtown. If that doesn’t scream hardcore studying, I don’t know what does. I’ve never seen this room for myself however so I will leave it up to you to track it down and find it. Don’t tell my friend I sent you. She might be angry that her favourite study spot has been exposed to the whole student body.

ECHA Seminar Rooms or Classrooms: 


UAlberta Study Spot - ECHA

I remember back in the day (during my first year) when few students knew the beauty of the ECHA seminar rooms. Now, during finals, you have to line up at 6:45 a.m. when the doors unlock and embark on a foot race in order to snag yourself a room. Trust me, I did it almost every day for a week last semester. But, it sure is worth it. The rooms are spacious and clean, some with comfy couches, large screens, whiteboards, outlets and most importantly, quietness.

Donadeo:


UAlberta Study Spot - DICE

Almost every floor of Donadeo is filled with an awesome study space. I love the assortment of tables on the second floor, but the upper floors have some more quiet spots as well!

Education (The Basement): 


UAlberta Study Spot - Education

I honestly didn’t know the basement of Education existed until I had a workout class down there. And I’m glad that I did, because it allowed me to stumble into one of the best study spots. In the Education South hallway, there are rows of cuticles with no students in sight. Honestly, it’s a tad bit creepy and I wouldn’t be surprised if it was haunted but hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to find a distraction-free study place.

Business (Basement): 


UAlberta Study Spot - Business

Apparently, we’re going with a basement theme now - but they’re usually empty so just go with it.. The Business basement has three cubicles with a computer lab close by in case you have to use the internet. It’s quiet without the creepy feeling that Education basement has.

Education (Couches - also in the Basement): 


UAlberta Study Spot - Education

In the Education South basement, at the end of one of the hallways there’s a Recreation centre with a sort of “lobby” that is filled with tons of couches and two (yes, TWO) microwaves. I rarely see students down there, so if you don’t mind studying on a couch (I actually prefer it), then this is a great option! Plus, there’s a vending machine, which can definitely come in handy when you’re studying for long hours and realize that you’ve forgotten to bring any sort of food or drink. Stay hydrated and stay healthy kids!

Ag For 2nd Floor: 


UAlberta Study Spot - Ag For

I feel like everyone always forgets about the potential of the Agriculture Forestry Building. They have so many hidden gems. One of my favorites is the assortment of cubicles on the 2nd floor that always seem to be vacant!

Pedway between SUB (by Dinwoodie Lounge) and AgFor:


UAlberta Study Spot - SUB

Again, if you don’t mind studying on a couch, the pedway by Dinwoodie Lounge is great! It’s quiet with big windows and I rarely find students utilizing this pedway (again, I don’t think many know it exists) so you won’t have a constant stream of people walking by and distracting your studying.

St. Joseph’s College Library: 


UAlberta Study Spot - St. Joe's

I saved the best one for last. I couldn’t believe my eyes when I walked into this library. I was the only person inside except for a cute librarian behind a desk. All two floors were completely empty. If I had a dream study spot, this would definitely be it. It has lots of different options with small cubicles if you like to be shut off from the rest of the world and large tables if you like to spread out and smaller tables if you want a happy medium. And just look at the plants! What more could you want?!


Taylor - YouAlberta Contributor

Taylor is in her fourth year, trying out her third faculty. After getting a taste of Sciences and Education, she decided Business was truly the faculty for her. When she is not studying for that elusive 4.0 GPA, you can find her glued to her computer, writing a new post on her personal style & beauty blog, when-im-older.com. And if she gets bored of that, you can most definitely bet she’s busy taking countless Snapchats of her Goldendoodle, Oakley. 
Share:

No comments

Post a Comment

© YouAlberta | All rights reserved.
Blogger Template by pipdig